A one-day training session to enable participants to build on their understanding of the Act and how they can make sure it is properly implemented in the work settings for which they are responsible.
Who should attend?
Social workers, care managers, independent support assistants and occupational therapists. All participants will be expected to have a thorough grasp of the Mental Capacity Act before attending this session (ideally by attending a “Part 1” session)
What can I expect?
An interactive session aimed at encouraging participants to ask questions, make comments and bring up their own issues through the use of a range of different methods including quizzes, case studies, video clips and small group work as well as direct teaching.
What will I learn?
By the end of this session participants should:
• Have received a basic reminder of the provisions of the Act
• Have explored how the 2014 House of Lords report on the implementation of the Mental Capacity Act should affect their own workplaces
• Be able to make links between the Mental Capacity Act and Safeguarding Adults and the Human Rights Act
• Have reviewed and discussed various cases which have come before the Court of Protection
• Be able to apply the judgments of the Court of Protection to similar cases that have arisen, or might arise, in their own work settings
• Have practiced carrying out capacity assessments, using the appropriate organisational paperwork and procedures
• Have practiced making best interests decisions using the appropriate organisational paperwork and procedures
• Have explored how to make a referral to the IMCA service using the appropriate organisational paperwork and procedures
• Understand the importance of keeping accurate and appropriate records in relation to all aspects of the Mental Capacity Act
• Have explored fully their own cases and scenarios in relation to the Mental Capacity Act in social work and care management settings
• Be able to apply all of their knowledge to everyday situations that they may face at work
Please be aware that by making this booking and agreeing to the terms and conditions, you are confirming you have your managers authorisation to attend this training and are aware of the cancellation/non-attendance charges that apply.